07 June 2005

I TOAST TO MY OWN REUNION, Prologue

I sing the body electric
I celebrate the me yet to come
I toast to my own reunion.
When I become one with the Sun. "Fame", The Motion Picture

Well, I am preparing for what, to me at least, is going to be another great experiance to occur before the Summer Solstice.

In the year of our lord, Nineteen Hundred Ninety-Five, life began a new for the gentleman known as DIVO. His experiances have been very vast and he has become quite accomplished in these years. The springboard to the great life that he would live would be the home that he found at Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School, The High School of Music and Art and Performing Arts.

A little history. LaGaurdia HS as it currently stands is the joining of two schools chartered between the late 30's and late 40's. These schools were mostly created out of the love of the arts and the vision to have students excell in that area.

Widely remembered is FAME. Fame is a movie that was based on the real life school of Music and Art.

I was very priviledged to go to one of the most prestigious arts academys in the country of its kind. (Public Arts)

Well, on Saturday and Sunday I will get a chance to revisit my High School Alma Mater. I am excited for many reasons. I want to see who will come. I want to see what some of the folks look like. I wanna know the folks that stayed with their craft. Mostly, I want to see the people that helped to define who I am today.

Nostalgia has started to settle in and I have pulled out my yearbook at least two or three times a night. The population was very mixed and I don't expect to see all of my African American collegues their, although I am scheduled to meet with som of them for dinner and cocktails after the Senior Semi- Annual. Although it may be a bit bitter sweet, because I had the money to pay for all the activities and I damn well should want to go back, but not all of my friends from HS agree with me. I won't let it get me down. I know that a school cannot thrive without the support of its alumni, and I refuse to let a legacy that I was a part of die.

I am truly in utter excitement as I remember the lunch lines, hanging in the hall with the Sweetheart, singing at the drop of a dime, every one always in performance mode, high style fashion, tears of joy at concerts, flirting with the straight boys (that flirted back), fighting the straight boys' girlfriends, the thought of getting 1 dozen roses from a senior my freshman year, me being the director of the gospel chorus for two years (my life dream at the time), the group of students that always had a scripture when I looked at boys, the thought of some of my friends when I annouced that I would have a girlfriend, being able to be Bisexual because it was in.

Whew!!!, I can go on and on. But those are the memories that come back when I think about LaG. It was my strength for the real world.

My Theme song for the week is:


Baby look at me
and tell me what you see
you aint seen the best of me yet
Give me time and I'll make you forget the rest

I got more in me
and you can set it free
I can catch the moon in my hand
Don't you know who I am

Chorus:

Remember my name...
FAME

I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly, (High)
I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry

Fame
I'm gonna make it to heaven
light up the sky like a flame (Fame)
I'm gonna live forever
Baby remember my name.

8 Comments:

Blogger the young people's professor said...

"Remember, Remember, Remember....FAAAAAAAAAAAAAME." OOh wasnt LEROY a hottie?

7:26 PM  
Blogger @GaryTylone said...

Yes I SO want to watch reruns of that TV show and the movie makes me cry everytime. We have a school in CT that was only half a day, that I attended and what a great experience.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Stone said...

Cheerish everyone of those moments which you will remember and as for the really enjoy it too because one day you will look back at these day as the good ole days

12:42 AM  
Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

I'm about to fall out.....Why did I go to MLK. Or as I like to refer to it: Martin Luther Queen, cuz baby so many "gurls" came out of King you would have thought it was Fiorello! Anyhow yeah Bro I auditioned for Fiorello and didn't get in my form of revenge was to attend King right across the street. I tell you I don't regret a thing. 10 years later I'm holding it down and guess what..I host my own show! have a great reunion Bro...Mine is coming up the end of June!

Hit the Blog!

10:55 AM  
Blogger C.R. Knight said...

i met kenny this friday night at the screening of brother to brother in new york. i didn't know he sang opera... you gotta hear him if you haven't.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Rod said...

Very good interview at Trent's.

TTYL
Rod2.0

1:02 AM  
Blogger The Divo said...

Thanks Guys,I am having a blast. I am looking forward to 2010, the fifteenth class reunion. As always in Parting, I came in Peace, and in Peace I leave.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Web Counter