29 June 2005

Always Remember Your PRIDE

Well I have bared my soul. Seems like I had a minor issue. It really wasn't a bad weekend. I can hold up the last post by saying this much at least. My weekend went to hell when my mother told me that she put my brother as her beneficiary for her life insurance. That killed my spirit. So a lot of my weekends anxieties and second guessing came from the insecurities that my mother recreated within me.


However,


Friday

I left Baltimore at 1:00pm en route to NYC. My expected time of arrival was suppose to be 4:30pm. I guess that thought was shot to hell when I was at exit 8 on the NJ Turnpike at 4:15pm.

All the while I am reading the fabulous Alphonso Morgan's, SONS . First, I would like to say, that book was the bleeping bomb. I was so into the characters at the end, that I started yelling and crying. That is a review without a spoiler.

N E WAY. I finally got to NYC, after 2 naps and a tour of the Lincoln Tunnel, at 7:00pm. It was then that the driver of the bus said "if you would like to get to NYC before 4pm it is best you take the 9:00am bus." Yeah, thanks. Next time I am going to take the Metroliner like I usually do.

But I was highly late. I didn't want to miss one of the events that I came for so I headed straight for NYU. I got there at what was roughly 7:30pm. There I heard cutting edge conversation, commentary, and debate over issues of the media portrayal of the African-American LBGT in America. The 2 things that I can remember about that forum was Jason Cooper, and how he talked about the R. Kelly, over exagerated "In the Closet", and Katina Parker, with her playing frisbee in the park with her partner. I then got called out of that forum to tend to a Physics exam.


Bright and Early Saturday Morning....

Or shall I say front and center afternoon...

I got up to my mothers voice beckoning me to talk with her. I always love a good talk with my mom. This time we had a few familial issues to tend to. We had our talk and somewhere in between a conversation about doing right by her, and caring alot about her she dropped a bomb and kept going. I will live to come to terms with what she said. I guess that set the mood for the day so it definately had to change.


So I make my way to Astor Place, and walk until I remember where the Nuyorican Poets Cafe was. Of course I needed my Saturday afternoon walking music courtesy of yours truly(namely I was singing to myself while walking.)

When I got in the door I was very surprised, but pleased, that my name was on the list. I don't often get that treatment. I was greeted by a familiar face when I walked in, Master Frank L. Roberts he greeted me and directed me to sit in ans have fun. I flowed right in and had a great time. I got to see Alphonso Morgan and James Earl Hardy. I was also put on to the likes of Hanifah Walidah, absolute talent for days. I was totally overwhelmed by the talent and artistry of the afternoon.

I was anxious to meet Mr. Morgan since I had just finished his book, and it was hot in my hands. I made my way outside and saw familiar faces. I wont say them all so that they are not incriminated if they didn't want anyone to know that they were there. However, I met them. Bloggers, that is, that I have been associating with for the past couple of months. Kool beans.

After, Frank hosted an impromptu early dinner at a soul food restaurant on 3rd Street. Well if I needed just another reason to slap my momma than that was the reason to do it. Cause the meal was scumptuous and the portions OMG, to die for.

After the episode of Alternitive Soul Food. It was time to part and make our way into different parts of the city. A group of us walked towards the west village. We had a great time with conversations that touched a little bit of every topic, highlight the touching. What was even funnier is that we became loiterers on a street corner, hanging on a light post for about an hour. We suddenly had to retreat, I walked another blogger to his destination and my day was ended in the village.

I was then summoned one again to take my Physics exam (yeah I had like 3 to take all weekend, online.)

I found the internet cafe on 40/duece and got to crackin. I messed up a little but somehow I think I will survive.

After that I went home. I was tired. Damn, I was in NYC and got home b4 midnight.


Next Posts:

Sunday @ Luke & Leroy w/7

The Distinguished Gentleman himself Frank L. Roberts: Renaissance Man.


I will be in St. Louis all week. So if I don't get back here to post b4 Monday. Ya'll have a Safe Independence Day.

7 Comments:

Blogger the young people's professor said...

you know I do love you Divo, right?

5:45 AM  
Blogger Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

WOW...ABOUT MOMMA...
And you are fierce in every picture I see of you taken by Nathan...He must photograph me when I set foot on the east coast...drop in a memo for me will you

3:07 AM  
Blogger Stone said...

i had a great time stip being all shy

8:34 PM  
Blogger Quaheem said...

Enjoy St. Louis....

TAKE SOME PICTURES!!!!

4:46 PM  
Blogger ShawnQt said...

Glad u had fun in the NYC!

6:48 PM  
Blogger prodigalsun said...

Is your brother older or something? Seems weird to designate only one child as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. When my granddad past, it went mostly to my grams and the rest went equally to my mom and her siblings...

I can understand you being upset by that. But dont understand your not speaking to her about it. But then I dont know the dynamic of your relationship. Is your brother like the responsible one? Would it make sense that he handle her arrangements? Maybe that is her logic...

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » » »

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Web Counter