03 August 2005

Taking A Stand

Recently, I just returned from my National Conclave. My fraternity, a predominately white society, kinda bent backwards to summon the HBCU chapters to the national event.

I being a member of an HBCU attended the event witout hesitation, as did my fraternal son and my line brother.

We got to Evansville, IN, and there were three other HBCU chapters represented out of 13. I immediately got mad, because the fraternity promised $50.00 to each chapter that showed up. I know the amount may seem insignificant, however it is for my organization.

Well, I guess all of you that have read my blog seem to know that I am very upfront and blunt with what I have to say. So, I wrote an essay directed towards the HBCU chapters in my fraternity. It wasn't malicious it was very simple stated but blunt.

I recalled them to their original inception in 1952 and reminded them that although we hold our HBCU convention every year, our fraternity is national and we need not try to convene ourselves without remembering to attend our National, Province, Regional, or Conclave events.

I was talking to a fellow blogger today and he encouraged that I write this story on my blog. Mainly because this is another reason that I have not been vocal on here. I made a fraternal vow and I feel that others aren't living up to theirs.

I guess what I am learning is, although I may not be an appointed leader in my fraternity, I still have a voice as an active dues paying member.

To all my brothers and sisters that have been enlightened by one organization or another, please always be true to the information that you have been taught, it will help you in the long run.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stone said...

you tell em' boy be that voice

6:15 PM  
Blogger Dubbed As Trent Jackson said...

At least you don't have to wonder "What If..." I always say what I have to say even if it is Controversial...

4:24 AM  
Blogger The Foxybrown Show said...

Your know the drill....Always your Brother but not always your Friend.

Glad you put your cards on the table!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Avowed_Southern_Democrat said...

Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story. -- Desiderata
Shem hotep!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Web Counter